Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Skid Row Outreach



Today we didnt have any rain so the outreach wasnt canceled for Skid Row.  I grabbed my camera and headed out with a few of the guys down to Skid Row.  Little did I realize what Skid Row is exactly.

There are a few things that I learned today.  One of those things is that you can never be fully prepared for new life experiences.  I went out there knowing I was going to see people in terrible living conditions.  I knew it was going to be dangerous and I knew I was going to be out of my comfort zone.  Me being the person I am, these things excited me.  Yet excitement was taken back when I saw that people lived like this.

Everywhere you go you smell urine and see people going about life, just trying to survive.  We went around and found a large group of people to talk with and ask about prayer.  Some received our presence well and others shoved us away.

One man rededicated his life to Christ and we were able to pray over and anoint two other people who were suffering.  One man named Cecil was 73 years old as he said and was in a wheel chair.  I struck up a conversation with him just to be cordial and learn something new.  This man had a great spirit and attitude about him.  We asked him if there was any pain we could pray over and we prayed over his arthritis in his legs.  He was instantly feeling better afterwards and was even able to walk a little bit.  I told him I would be seeing him again.

For me, I find it a major problem that the majority of the church is ignorant of what goes on under our own noses.  We intentionally stay ignorant to these people and they end up paying the costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment