Monday, June 7, 2010

Garsteck Photography: Utilizing the strobist mentality.

A few months ago, I decided I would start getting lights for a future studio.  I looked more into this thing called "Strobist" and I was very intrigued by it.  I felt God tell me, "Pray for lights" and I said, "Ok" and I did.  And now, I have lights, well, a light.



I researched and priced out my initial strobist kit.  I already had a Canon 430 EX II strobe so I was good on that end.  All I needed to get was a: stand, sync cable or a wireless sync system, umbrella, and an adapter for my flash.  No big deal right?

Well I found a cheap and workable set on Amazon.com and now its all here and set up.  It works like a dream and I am pretty happy with it.



Along with said equipment, I also bought a tripod, new lens caps and a remote for my canon (to essentially use my bulb exposure).

whats the big deal with using off camera flashes?  They arent as powerful as a monolight strobe and they cost the same thing, if not more.  This is true, however, they are very portable and lightweight.  If I wanted to get a monolight kit, I would have to have portable power.  Care to guess how much they cost?  Yeah, a lot of money.

The strobist kits are way portable and lightweight.  Not to mention they allow you to get creative with your setups by allowing you to use less.

I plan on getting another light and stand and all that.  I will have a two light strobist kit eventually.  I also plan on getting a nice two light setup from Alien Bees.  They also have great wireless sync systems and I am looking forward to eventually replacing my $20 setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment